Binge Eating Disorder : BED
What Is Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)?
A Real Medical Condition
Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) is not just overeating. It is a real medical condition that was formally recognized in 2013. B.E.D. is the most common eating disorder among US adults. So, if you think you might be struggling with the symptoms of B.E.D., know that you are not alone.
B.E.D. can be diagnosed only by a health care provider, and only when specific criteria are met. So be sure to talk with your health care provider about any concerns you may have about your eating.
concerns you may have about your eating.
Binge Eating Disorder Statistics:
The Most Common Eating Disorder in US Adults
- B.E.D. affects an estimated 2.8 million adults, according to a national survey.*
- B.E.D. is more common among adults in the US than anorexia and bulimia combined.
- B.E.D. affects both women and men. Based on percentage, two times as many women are affected as men in the US.†
- B.E.D. can occur in normal-weight, overweight, or obese adults.
- B.E.D. occurs at a similar rate across non-Latino white (1.4%), Latino (2.1%), Asian (1.2%), and African American (1.5%) adults in the US.
*Based on 12-month prevalence estimates applied to the full US population ≥ 18 years.
†Based on estimated 12-month prevalence data in the US.
B.E.D. is Observed Across Racial and Ethnic Groups in the US
WE CAN HELP. ask us about a new medication treatment combined with cognitive behavioral therapy that can help you regain control.
Adult B.E.D Patient Screener Download Link